-
June 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
#11
Senior Hostboard Member
Thank-you for your reply GM. So I gather that even though the A5 cab LOOKS the same as an 825 (or later, an 828)its throat, or woofer opening is actually wider?
I always thought the A5 was just an A7 cab with a large format driver and a multicell horn on top. Please tell me if I'm way off.
Jon
-
June 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
#12
Senior Hostboard Member
You're welcome!
The throat of all 825/828 cabs are 8" x 16" AFAIK. The original A7-8 825 cab has a narrower driver cutout though. Notice how the woofer cutout doesn't extend all the way to the horn's throat sides? All the A5/A7-500 as well as later A7-8 cabs are cut out flush with the horn sides, so if the buyer of these wanted to, he/she could cut them out to match the others, but AFAIK these cabs are fairly rare now, so it would be a shame IMO to 'upgrade' them.
GM
-
June 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
#13
Inactive Member
It never ceases to amaze me of the level of compitence we have right here! Thanks to all for all the vast knowledge.
I learn stuff I didn't even need to know but always am impressed with the free flow of great info here.
BTW, those cabinets, look pretty nice and easily repairable so go get em if they are close enough and stay at a low number.
Good luck on the auction and keep us informed what happens.
Gary
-
June 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM
#14
Inactive Member
Thanks everyone for the feedback! They are about 7-8 hours from where I am and it would be a great excuse to visit San Diego over a weekend.. :-) If I understand correctly, it appears that the 828 cabinets would be a closer match to the 311s. Since I don't have enough room to put much more audio equipment to experiment with, I will sadly have to pass on these and will hold out for 828s!
Boyd, I sent an email regarding your VERY generous offer, but it bounced back. Could you drop me a line?
Joe
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 19, 2008 09:30 PM: Message edited by: aauwen ]</font>
-
June 20th, 2008, 03:56 AM
#15
Senior Hostboard Member
FYI, these are 825 cabs with low pass filters (the driver cutout) optimized for 811/800 Hz...........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">An important detail that i think gets commonly overlooked by many folks.
But for GM's wisdom and contributions, this is a detail i'd be largely unaware of............ many thanks!
-
June 20th, 2008, 04:29 AM
#16
Inactive Member
I always made an assumption with the Altec horns.
511s performed best down to around 500Hz, hence the 5 with the 11. 811s seem to be best with frequescies down to around 800Hz.
Could it be that 311s go down to 300Hz?
Gary
-
June 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM
#17
Inactive Member
Gary, you're gonna win that Sherlock Award yet.
-
June 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
#18
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by bfish:
Gary, you're gonna win that Sherlock Award yet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You'll win a Sherlock award if you can tell me what the "11" stands for.
-
June 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
#19
Inactive Member
I'd call it the cardinal number following 10 and preceding 12, but then I'm still laughing over the DaVinci Code...
No room on the mantle for a Sherlock anyway, my mail order Watson and 6th grade Jethro fill it up already.
-
June 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
#20
Inactive Member
It's one more than ten. It's just enough to shove it over the edge of the cliff. Otherwise loud.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks